When it comes to choosing which type of cardamom is best, it depends on the flavor you are going for, but most commonly, green cardamom is the popular and most highly recommended choice. It’s sweeter and adds great flavor to fall treats and dishes and also contains ripe benefits for you to reap.
Benefits of Cardamom
Because of the number of nutrients and antioxidants contained in cardamom, there are several things that cardamom can potentially do for you, here are some of the highest on the list:
- Weight Loss – Cardamom contains certain nutrients (such as melatonin) that help the body burn calories and also manage fat and weight more effectively, resulting in weight loss.
- Digestion – Cardamom contains specific antioxidants that have been shown to help digestive troubles, improve pancreatic health and smooth out the intestinal lining.
- Liver – Studies have shown the positive effects that cardamom can have on the liver, preventing enlargement and risk of fatty liver disease.
- Skin – Some studies have been done on mice skin that has shown how cardamom extracts may potentially have the ability to reduce non-melanoma skin cancer.
- Nausea – Studies have shown how cardamom can affect relieving nausea, particularly for post-surgery patients using aromatherapy methods.
- Inflammation – Studies have shown how the antioxidants contained in cardamom can help soothe and reduce inflammation throughout the body, providing some relief.
- Acid Reflux – When it comes to issues with acid reflux, cardamom has been shown to have positive effects and to help reduce it.
- Teeth – Cardamom has shown to have impressive effects on oral health and can help combat and prevent the development of bacteria in the mouth that can otherwise lead to cavities or infection.
- Anxiety – There have been studies that have shown how cardamom has the potential to help reduce and even prevent the onset of anxiety, creating a calming effect. One particular study showed how it can help stress levels in rats that experience symptoms of PTSD (post-traumatic stress disorder).
- Diabetes – Hypertension (high blood pressure) can be a great contributor to diabetes and the risk for diabetes. Cardamom has shown to be able to lower blood pressure and therefore, help people who struggle with or have the risk of diabetes and other conditions related to high blood pressure.